Locke Vineyards History
Locke Vineyards History....
Kevin and Theresa Locke, the owners of Locke Vineyards, have lived in the town of Murphys since 1983 when they moved for Kevin’s profession as a local forester. Both of their family backgrounds had strong agriculture roots. Kevin’s grandfather, emigrated to California in the 1920's, where he farmed plums in Santa Rosa, almonds in Orland, and eventually grapes in Lodi. Theresa’s grandfather Joseph Avila, whose family had emigrated from the Azores in the late 1800’s, operated a dairy in Orinda and later the Modesto area.
Kevin and Theresa’s dream came true when they purchased a small existing vineyard in the Mountain Ranch area in 1993, which they expanded. In 1999, they planted their second vineyard on a property off Highway 4 where the Murphys vineyard and The Barn: tasting room & farmhouse shop exists today.
Over the years, they have sold grapes to several local wineries in Calaveras County. The first vintage under the Locke Vineyards label was in 2003. Locke Vineyards currently has 5 acres of grapes at the Mountain Ranch vineyard and 5 acres of grapes at the Murphys vineyard.
The Barn is home to our lavender, flower & culinary herb farm where most of the Farmhouse Shop goods are grown and made.
In 2013, Kevin retired from Cal Fire after a 35 year forestry career and opened the Murphys Downtown Tasting Room. In summer of 2018, the downtown tasting room closed and The Barn on the Murphys vineyard became the tasting room & farmhouse shop location.